Designing From Your Garden


Celebrate the unofficial birth of Summer this weekend by enjoying nature's splendors.

Taking a quick glance out my window, I noticed our lilac bush is in full bloom. I absolutely adore lilac and couldn't resist snipping a few stems to throw in a vase at work.

I chose a simple crystal vase and added a handful of peonies and hosta foliage to the fragrant mix.

While this took a mere minute or two to accomplish, I will be blessed with a fragrant bouquet for days.

You don't need anything fancy to throw an impromptu design together and I encourage you to enjoy nature's bounties.

Here are a few helpful tips for designing from your garden.

1) Select blooms that are just on the 'break' (just about to open)

2) Clip them with a sharp pair of pruning scissors first thing in the morning or late in the evening. Flowers are least stressed at these hours and will not be as shocked upon removing them from their mother plant.

3) Re-cut the stems just prior to placing them in your design.

4) Change the water every day or so.

Cheers!
S.

No comments:

Post a Comment